One of the awesome side effects of rewilding is that you make a lot of your own stuff at home. You forgo packaging and nasty chemicals, and you can choose your own organic ingredients (most of them are things you probably have lying around already) to suit your skin, budget, tastes, health…
This week, I am running MYO Body Product Workshops as part of Plastic Free July.
Plastic Free July is an organisation based in WA which challenges people to ditch plastics throughout the month of July, and well, forever! Check them out and take up the challenge in your daily life.
The workshop on the 31st in Byron Bay has already SOLD OUT, but I still have places left for the workshop on Sunday 30th July in Myocum, Northern NSW. I’ll be teaching you how to make your own toothpaste, deodorant, body scrub, bath salt, lip balm and more! You can go to the Facebook event page for specific details.
If you’re trying to reduce your plastic use, one of the easiest (and cheapest) ways to make changes is in your bathroom. Start by going through your bathroom drawers and cupboard and notice everything that’s packaged in, yep you guessed it, PLASTIC! And look for alternatives for when it’s all used up. I find that most packaged body/beauty products are wayyyyy overpriced, when you can be using something much cheaper and plastic free for the same result! Some handy tips:
- Keep your ‘beauty’ regime extremely simple
- Use rosehip, almond, black sesame or coconut oil (packaged in glass or bought in bulk) instead of moisturisers or massage oils
- Make your own toothpaste or buy brands that are in metal tubes
- Keep and re-use old containers for the products you make/buy
- Buy in bulk (in those reusable containers) i.e. shampoos, conditioners
- Buy locally made soap from the markets instead of liquid soap
- Invest in some good quality essential oils to spice up your products
- Buy zinc in reusable metal tins instead of sunscreen
- For the ladies, go for reusable pads and/or a menstrual cup!
To get you started, I’ve included my recipe for MYO Minty-Fresh Toothpaste >>> you’re welcome!
There’s just 3 INGREDIENTS in the basic recipe, a few more if you want to get fancy! Please buy the best quality ingredients that you can afford! These combination of ingredients act to 1) clean your teeth and gums (bicarb); 2) kill bacteria in your mouth (coconut oil); and 3) leave your mouth feeling fresh as (peppermint).
- 1/3 C bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 C coconut oil (hard)
- 10-15 drops peppermint oil
- Pinch of stevia/ xylitol (optional – for sweetness)
- 1 Tbsp fresh pureed aloe vera (optional)
- 1 tsp activated charcoal powder (optional – for teeth whitening)
Method: Mash all ingredients together with a fork for about 2 mins until a nice smooth paste forms. Put into a clean container and keep in a dark place in the bathroom (or fridge if you’d like it to stay firm in summer).
Have you tried making your own products at home? Let me know your experiences….